Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So many books to talk about!

Club Readers, I am not in the blog mode yet--Jo had to remind me to write something about our first Club Read discussion group meeting, a week ago Tuesday (June 15). We had a great turnout of 12 voracious readers, and it was fun and inspiring to hear what everyone has been reading.

Here's a partial list: A Christmas Blizzard and Life Among the Lutherans by Garrison Keillor (those were mine--I love Keillor's monologues on A Prairie Home Companion, and these two books "sounded" just like him); Miracle on the Hudson (about the passengers on the plane pilot Sully Sullenberger landed on the Hudson River); The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver; a mystery series (whose name I didn't get) set in Appalachia by Vicky Lane; Population 485 , Truck and Coop by Michael Perry; The Double Comfort Safari Club, the latest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency novel by Alexander McCall Smith (if you like "gentle" mysteries and are curious about Botswana, I recommend this series); Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools by Greg Mortensen; Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom; Too Much Happiness, a short story collection by Alice Munro; The Political Mind by George Lakeoff; and many more books! (I apologize for any misspellings of author names/titles--don't have time to blog and check my facts!)

I've been attending the Club Read discussion group since 2000, so this is my 10th anniversary discovering and discussing books with a group of lively and opinionated readers. But several of our members have been with us since Club Read started 20 years ago, and it's instructive to hear their perspective on classics, fiction, nonfiction, all the genres. When you love to read and can share that love with other passionate readers, you have the best of all worlds--and that's how I feel about Club Read at the Marion Public Library. We are blessed to live in a city that supports a great public library and wonderful outreach programs.

Our assignment for the next meeting on June 29 is to read books from "Reading in Our Own Backyard" list in the Club Read packet. I can't wait to hear what the group has to say about the books on this year's bibliographies. Check back and I'll share the highlights with you right here on ClubReadBlogger.

Deb

P.S. Please comment, so I know someone is reading this besides Liz and Jo!

2 comments:

  1. You do have good readers! A lot of good titles mentioned in your partial list! I particularly like that someone is reading all the Michael Perry books -- wonder if that reader came to see him when he visited us last month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Deb, I'm reading this. My "To Read" list is growing by leaps and bounds! And aren't books so much more wonderful when they're shared? I agree that fellow citizens who support and enjoy a robust library make the very best neighbors.

    ReplyDelete